Current Situation in Sri Lanka
As you would have been aware there was a coordinated suicide bombing of 3 Churches and 3 Hotels on Easter
Sunday killing more than 250 people. The responsibility for this dastardly bomb attacks has been claimed by
the international terrorist group ISIS. Our conference venue Shangri La hotel was also a target. We are as
concerned as you are about the safety and security of all of us and therefore, we thought of providing you this
update on the current ground situation in Sri Lanka.
The past decade Sri Lanka has been one of the safest places on earth complimented by its people’s warm-heartedness and generosity. Terrorists took advantage of the said environment and staged the attacks on the
innocents. This is in no way a reflection on the part of the government or the Security outfits to deal with terrorism.
Consequent to these attacks a security blanket has been thrown covering the entire country. The limited police
curfew daily from 10 pm to 4 am the following day has been lifted in most parts of the country including
Our battle-hardened security forces who brought an end to the 30-year war in this country a decade ago
managed to corner most of these terrorists and busted their networks within a short period of time.
As a result of these measures, the security situation has been brought well under control. We remain very
positive that the ground situation will continue to improve on a daily basis and normalcy will be restored
We do understand and appreciate that you have security concerns which is natural. We would like to advise
you as follows:
1. We Implore you to keep your travel plans as they were for the next couple of weeks
2. We are confident that the ground situation has improved.
3. We are going ahead with our plans as usual based on positive feedback from the government
4. Should there be any reasons for concerns, we will update you.
5. Most of our speakers have expressed that they will be attending as planned earlier.
6. If there are any threats that would compromise the security of the speakers and the delegates you
will be promptly updated.
7. As the organizers of this conference, your safety is far more important for us than the conference
Dr. Noel Somasundaram – President Elect, SAFES
Dr. Charles Antonypillai – President, SLCE 2019